What is Palo azul?
It's the most magical tea in the world!
Palo azul was popularized shortly after the discovery of America, when it was transported to Europe for its diuretic effectiveness and amazing blue fluorescence. Other natural diuretics include green tea, black tea, coffee, and cranberry juice.
In fact, Isaac Newton, one of the most influential scientists in history, researched this magical tea for its fluorescence! Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone was also amazed by palo azul!
* Here's a fascinating fact: The books "Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences" and "Early History of Solution Fluorescence" mention that the phenomenon of fluorescence was first discovered in palo azul!
Palo azul tea has been used for over 300 years as a natural medicine for its powerful healing properties. Its health benefits are obtained by infusing the plant in water and this produces an amber colored tea with a blue hue when it absorbs light.
It is traditionally used as a diuretic to cure kidney problems, kidney stones, diarrhea and colic. It is also used as an anti-inflammatory to treat cases of arthritis, rheumatism, sciatica, and healing joint pains.
Scientific name: Eysenhardtia polystachya
Botanic family: Fabaceae, leguminosas
This is the family with the third greatest number of species.
The palo azul plant grows in dry locations in Texas, Arizona and Mexico.
How to prepare palo azul
1. Boil 1 liter of alkaline water and add 2 or 3 pieces of the palo azul’s bark.
*Don't use cheap bottled water because they're usually acidic and your palo azul won't turn blue. Tap water or fridge water is usually alkaline. If you're going to use bottled water, make sure the pH is 7+.
2. Brew on low heat for 20-25 minutes. You'll notice the color begins to turn into a blueish amber color.
3. Let it cool down, then remove the palo azul plant and you can drink the palo azul tea hot or cold, as you prefer.
4. Pour it in a glass cup so that it can absorb light and it looks the bluest
5. Shine light on your palo azul tea to enjoy the magic!